Alfred Bester

Story: Mind War
Written By: J. Michael Straczynski
Season: 1

A renegade telepath and former mentor to Talia Winter, Jason Ironheart, comes to Babylon 5 to escape the Psi-Corps as he has developed extra powers that make him dangerous to the creepy Psi-Corps Totalitarian Creepiness.  Introduced in this episode is recurring villain Alfred Bester, played by “Star Trek’s” Walter Koenig.  I liked Koenig as Bester, it was nice to see him with a role with actual meat on it.  I’m a huge Trek fan, and no matter what any “Babylon 5” fan says I think DS9 is amazing...but even I can admit that for the most part, Chekov was a one dimensional role for the actor.  Bester is clearly a little more than that as the Psi-Cop. 
I think Bester makes the episode work.  Jason Ironheart is a decent enough character to follow, but Talia Winters is pretty much dullsville. You certainly don’t miss her when she is missing for so many episodes.

Decent episode, for what I’ve seen so far in this clearly “set-up-the-plot” Season.

NEXT TIME: Centauri Couple Runaways

Comments