All Alone in the Night

Story: The Gathering
Written By: J. Michael Straczynski
Season: 1

So in attempting to watch “Babylon 5” to further my nerd credentials, I have tried to watch this pilot a few times.  The first go I didn’t get far...the CG looked so cheap, like “The Last Starfighter”, but that was at least made during the early days of CG.  But I guess what I have to keep in mind with this show is that it was a TV budget and that for TV the CG was okay.  But beyond the unconvincing CG effects, it was a terribly dry and stiff cast that made it hard to stomach.  But I had heard such good things, about how good it got at some point, that I just had to try it again. I did eventually watch this and a few other 1st season episodes before giving up yet again.  I just wasn’t feeling it.  It has been about three years and once again I rewatched the pilot, and made it not just through some episodes but through the first season...I think I need to review them just to get my thought out there. 
So having seen this a few times I can fairly say that this pilot isn’t great.  There is a spark of something good within it, but it really is too stiff.  Some of the cast changes made between the pilot and the first season really did help to alleviate some bad acting that was holding this production back.  Unfortunately it would take a whole season before the lead character would finally take off.

I think that the pilot is essential viewing, and it has some interesting ideas, but it almost feels to cold and hard to relate to, and makes it a difficult show to get into, because it has such a alienating start. 

NEXT TIME: Ragesh 3

Comments